Does your home page tell prospective customers why they need you?
The amount of time you have to make an impression on visitors to your website is probably less than 10 seconds. If your homepage doesn’t clearly show what services you provide, why your company is the one to hire and gives visitors a method of contacting you or purchasing from you then you are definitely missing out.
What items are “must have” information on your website?
- Homepage must have information related to your company, describing your business, products and services. Use photos, graphics, colours, tag-lines, and whatever else it takes to make them want to stay on your site, read further, hire you or purchase your products. You only have a few seconds to make them realize you are the “best” company or source for what they need.
- Benefits – what are the benefits to them by doing business with you? Why are you better than your competitor? Don’t be afraid to brag! If you won’t brag about what you can do, who will? Are your prices better, do you offer great customer service, a terrific follow-up service? Let them know.
- Credentials should be shown on your homepage – showing visitors why you are the best person or business to provide them with the services they need. Show them you are an expert in your field, giving them the confidence to stay on the site and learn more. If you have received any awards – show them off!
- Call to action – in case you don’t know what this is, it’s where you tell visitors what to do – such as sign up for your newsletter, purchase your products, contact you for a consultation. They won’t know what is expected of them unless you tell them. “Click here”, “Contact us”, “Order here” “Buy now” are just a couple of samples of “call-to-action” items.
- Contact information. Make is as easy as possible for visitors to contact you either by phone, email, opt-in forms, or through social media networks. The more information you provide them to contact you, the more likely they will do so. Why make it difficult? Provide this information on every page, whether it’s on the sidebar or added to the bottom of each page.
If you are anything like me, when I visit a website and it confuses me right from the beginning I leave. It’s that simple. I don’t have to wait around for something relevant to jump out at me and visitors to your website probably aren’t any different. Visitors to your site are looking for your services or products or they wouldn’t be on your website. Grab their attention and reassure them as to why they should do business with you.
All the best,
Carol Ann Quibell
Carol Ann Quibell is the owner / WordPress web designer for Lorac Virtual Solutions. She is a certified Social Media Specialist, an Online Book Marketer and experienced WordPress Website Designer. Contact her to discuss your website needs.